WHAT ARE THEY?
Spirulina and Chlorella are supplements that have been around for many years, but we hear little about them anymore. I have taken Chlorella tablets, and used Spirulina in a powder form in my smoothies. They both can be purchased at most Health Food Stores. They are available as liquids, tablets, capsules and powders. You may find them as an ingredient in many, so-called, ‘Green Drinks’.
What is there that should be known about them? I knew very little so I decided to research them. I went to a source called ‘Nature’s Remedies’, the Complete Guide to Natural Healing. I love this source as they make every effort to offer medically accurate and up-to-date information – that can be used to complement and not replace the advice of your physician. The following is what I found out about Spirulina and Chlorella.
- Both Spirulina and Chlorella, usually, are made from “freshwater algae”. Both are packed with protein, nutrients and chlorophyll that are easy for the body to assimilate. In case you didn’t know ‘algae are among earth’s oldest life forms. Algae, as a protein, can round out a meatless diet. Algae was a staple in the diet of the Aztecs. As basic nutrients, Chlorella and Spirulina are “believed to cleanse the blood of toxins, buffer the effects of radiation, boost immunity and even fight cancer.
- They have a ‘therapeutic effect’ – because their protein (which contains all the essential amino acids) is easily digested, especially for those of you who are fasting or dieting or have trouble digesting other forms of protein.
- It might, (this is still being researched) stabilize blood-sugar levels for diabetics and hypoglycemia patients.
- The components: Spirulina is a blue-green algae containing up to 70 percent protein, with chlorella about 60 percent. Both are rich in beta-carotene, antioxidants, and fatty acids (gamma-linolenic acid) vital for nerve and brain function. They help to relieve skin conditions such as eczema. Among the minerals they provide are calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc; with vitamins being A, D, B-1, 2, and 12, B Complex, and vitamins C & E.
- Other claims: Spirulina “can suppress the appetite, and the chlorophyll improves bad breath. As a supplement they “can increase energy and resistance under conditions of stress or weakness.”
CONCERNS: “In recent years, there has been concern about algae contaminated by pollution in lakes where they are harvested. As a result, algae products are now subject to more stringent controls.”
Remember, times have changed from the Aztec era where everything was really organic. Today, because of the bacteria scare from the ‘freshwater algae’ all over the world, Spirulina and Chlorella in all forms may be made from other food sources such as barley and wheatgrass, etc.
I never had any problems using either of these as supplements.
Go ahead – make a Green Drink Smoothie, add some Spirulina Powder, and experience a new energy.
TRY THEM, SPIRULINA AND CHLORELLA, YOU MIGHT LIKE THEM, TOO!