All vinegar is not alike. The one that should be used for consumption is Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – with the mother at the bottom of the bottle. Bragg is the brand I use and like the best, although there are other companies that make Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
The vinegar that should not be consumed and is great for cleaning etc. is White Vinegar. White Vinegar is considered a dead vinegar because all the nutritional value has been removed through the distillation process. It is better suited for a variety of household and workshop chores. Listed below are some of the uses for white vinegar as a cleaner, deodorizer and disinfectant.
Also, it is sold as ‘All Purpose Cleaning Vinegar.’
- Kitchen Appliances and Countertops.
- Greasy areas: mix 1/4 cup white vinegar with 2 cups hot water and add 1-2 drops of biodegradable liquid soap, in a spray bottle. Will store in the cupboard.
- Bread boards and chopping blocks: Use full strength. Spray on and leave overnight. In the morning rinse with water.
- Pots and pans: make a paste of baking soda and white vinegar. Helps remove stubborn stuck on foods.
- Dish Washer: Can stop spotting of glass and China by placing 1 cup vinegar on the bottom rack of an electric dishwasher before starting the wash.
- Drains and Pipes: mix 1/3 cup baking soda with a cup of white vinegar. Pour into drain. Cover with a plate and let sit for an hour or longer. Then, flush through with cold water.
- Garbage Disposal: Pour white vinegar/water (80/20% ratio) into an ice-cube tray – put in freezer. Put 1 or 2 ice cubes in disposal, turn on, and walla, you have just cleaned your disposal. Once weekly is good.
- Sink, Tub and Shower: Spray with a 80/20 ratio of a vinegar and water. Leave on for 10 minutes, then scrub and rinse.
- Chrome, Stainless Steel, Garbage Pails: Use to make Chrome and Stainless Steel shine, and disinfect Garbage Pails.
- OTHER USES: In the laundry – Run the washing machine for a full cycle with a pint of white vinegar to remove soap scrum from tub part and the hoses; Soften and disinfect fabric, clothes, etc. by adding to last rinse; Eliminate mineral deposits on steam iron plate, by filling the iron reservoir with straight white vinegar and allow to steam on a rag. Then fill with plain water and turn upside down and let water drain out; Carpets: use a mix of 2 Tbsp salt and 1/2 cup white vinegar – rub paste into stain on the carpet, allow to dry before vacuuming. I just rub the stain with straight vinegar and let it dry. The stain comes out without the use of bleach. (tip from the carpet sales person); Disinfect your child’s toys with a light spray of vinegar (50/50 ratio of vinegar and water) and brush or wipe clean; Windows – eye glasses, car windows and car, etc. Spray 50/50 ratio vinegar-water then wipe clean with soft cloth; Have those unwanted weeds? pour on straight vinegar. Last, but not least. Vinegar works as a non-toxic pesticide when equal parts of vinegar and water is sprayed on areas where ant invasions start.
What a versatile product. I am sure there are many more uses out there. I have used some of these tips and they do work. And, just think – no toxic residue or poisons.
REMEMBER – CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS. It works best when chemicals are not involved.