Chronic pain is experienced by more than 100 million people on a daily basis. Since pain-relieving drugs often fail to heal injured tissue, they only alleviate the outward symptoms, making it necessary to address the real underlying cause.
“Scientists have discovered a fatty acid naturally found in the body that targets the underlying cause of chronic pain. It works at the sit of the pain to turn off the pain signal. This peripherally-acting fatty acid helps break the inflammatory pain cycle.” (Michael Downey)
Common over-the-counter pain relievers come with risks to include: ibuprofen – you have greater odds of suffering a heart attack; naproxen (Aleve) – odds again of suffering a heart attack. By regularly taking these drugs you, as well, open yourselves up to the risk of kidney impairment. And, of course over-prescribed addictive opioids have led to an alarming amount of more than 500,000 deaths since the year 2000.
Because of the above facts, scientists are aggressively researching for safer alternatives to relieve pain. Their research has led them to the above mentioned natural fatty acid compound called palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), that works at the site of tenderness to turn off the pain signal. PEA lowers inflammation to include sciatica nerve pain, migraine headache pain, carpal tunnel pain, and TMJ pain (a chronic condition that causes severe jaw discomfort). It is found that PEA’s anti-inflammatory effects in combination with levodopa therapy may also help slow the progression of Parkinson’s disease.
In summary – “chronic pain often involves both peripheral inflammation as well as amplification of the perception of pain within the brain. Long-term treatment with pain-relieving drugs involves a high risk of adverse effects and fails to target the underlying cause of chronic pain. PEA functions to suppress painful inflammatory stimuli that persist at sites of injury.”
(check with the company Life Extension for the PEA product in chewable tablet form)
Is in the news again because of the COVID-19 pandemic. You will hear about it being a good thing, and about it being a bad thing, depending on who you listen to. Fact – humans do not internally produce vitamin C.
Way back when, it was discovered to avoid scurvy, however, today researchers have found that vitamin C promotes a longer lifespan and can help prevent many of the disorders related to aging, cancer, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, etc. Vitamin C is also beneficial to the immune system, helping to prevent viral respiratory infections like the common cold. Further scientific studies have found that “higher vitamin C intake is associated with greater bone mass, and that lower vitamin C intake correlates with bone loss.”
If this information is factual, then why would the CDC and its minions say Vitamin C will not help fight the corona virus impact. Boosting the immune system and fighting immune senescence is what it is all about.
“Daily vitamin C supplementation plays a vital role in optimizing our body’s ability to combat oxidative stress and protect against many of the diseases associated with life and aging.”
I just watched a video on taking Vitamin C. It was suggested that everyone needs to take Vitamin C everyday – at least 1000 mg. to huge amounts e.g. 16,000 mg. depending on each individual’s body chemistry/disease overload. Children should not need more than 1000 mg. per day depending on age, size, and health issues. It was said to be a Vitamin that “when taken daily, will keep you from getting sick.” It will combat disease, and definitely help keep the immune system in good working order. The name of the movie is “That Vitamin Movie!” It is in a documentary format. It’s your call as to whether you want to take more vitamin C if you are already taking it, or start if you are not. For years, Vitamin C has been one of the supplements that I use. I do 3000 to 5000 per day, sometimes all at the same time or spread out throughout the day. Since my immune system is very healthy, I don’t take it everyday. I take it more to ward off sickness, as I feel the need for it, as I get it naturally in many of the foods that I eat. In my opinion, it works to combat a myriad of health issues. When buying, buy a good quality Vitamin C. Ask for help at your health food store, if you are just learning about vitamin supplementation.
The conclusion of the movie was that Vitamin C as well as other vitamin supplementation does, in fact, have long term benefits, as it treats the cause and not symptoms of health issues. In the event of the COVID-19 virus, the larger the dose you take of Vitamin C – the quicker you will get better. Are the doses dangerous? No, because the body does not make Vitamin C – as was noted earlier. The body uses what it needs and discards the rest. That is why you need to take it everyday. The body is self healing if you give it what it needs.
Bell’s Palsy – is a disease that you hear very little of today. What do you know about it? I discovered an article written by Dsonta Holder many years ago, and here is what it said:
- Symptoms: “The nerve that controls your facial muscles becomes swollen or compressed, causing half of your face to temporarily paralyze or weaken and appear to droop.” This can be scary as it usually happens suddenly and may be accompanied by a headache, loss of taste, changes in the amount of saliva and tears your body produces. The warning signs may be neck pain or pain in or behind the ear before the onset of the incident.
- Danger: Is it dangerous? It may prevent you from closing your eye or eyes, therefore you will need to keep the eyes moist with eye-drops during the day and an eye ointment at night. These can be purchased at the pharmacy. “If your cornea become too dry, it can cause permanent vision loss.
- Causes: “Viral infections such as viral meningitis, herpes simplex, shingles and chickenpox can lead to the disorder. Bacterial infections such as Lyme disease and tuberculosis, as well as a skull fracture, can also lead to Bell’s Palsy.” That is quite a list.
- Risk factors: occur more often in people who have diabetes, HIV or an upper respiratory infections such as a cold or the flu. Women in the last trimester can also be at risk. I would assume it would be only if she is experiencing any of the symptoms or causes listed above.
- Treatment: “Some cases subside on their own within weeks.” It goes on to say that if the case persists usually “corticosteroids and antiviral medications are prescribed to relieve facial compression.” Other helps include: massaging and exercising the facial muscles, surgery to relieve pressure on the facial nerve – this is rarely recommended, and would be a last resort. In summary, and the good news – most people recover completely, with or without treatment within six months.
Stay healthy and stay tuned for more blogs on HEALTH TIPS!