The LIVER!

This is the first of a series of topics, to explain, in average person terms, the organs of the body and their functions.

Human Anatomy: Antererior View of the Liver

The LIVER is the largest organ in the body. It is located on the right side of the body beneath the diaphragm, level with the bottom of your sternum. The bottom of the liver is concave and covers your stomach, duodenum (the first portion of the small intestines), hepatic flexure of the colon (upper right turn, right adrenal gland and the upper portion of the right kidney.  (This is a watered down description so everyone can understand or maybe get a visual picture of it in your mind.) Your liver has four lobes and is covered by a thick, tough, fibrous membrane called the Glisson’s capsule. All the blood vessels and hepatic ducts enter the liver at the hilus.  This common bile duct then enters the upper portion of your small intestine, called the duodenum, at the papilla of Vater. This is the main digestive area of the body. The functional parts of the liver are the liver lobules, consisting of the liver cells, which are permeated by blood capillaries called sinusoids. The sinusoids are lined with the Kupffer cells, which are the immune cells of the liver. (Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary)

The liver has so many functions..researchers have yet to discover them all.  An article in the ‘Energy Times’ magazine tells us that:

  • The liver works as a detoxifier of everything that enters the digestive tract. The liver’s immune cells digest bacteria, viruses and other pathogens within the blood from the digestive tract.”A healthy liver can metabolize hormones, chemical drugs, and other chemicals to a certain degree. However, our daily ingestion of these substances is more than most livers can cope with.” (Dr. Robert Morse, N.D)
  • The liver stores various amino acids obtained from digestion, then reconstructs them for essential body proteins. It synthesizes non-essential amino acids for growth and repair functions.
  • The liver works as a blood purifier, cleansing the blood of toxic substances and regulating the blood’s ability to clot.
  • The liver works as a processor, converting carbohydrates, fats and proteins into fuel the body can use. It converts excess glucose into glycogen (stored fat), then converts the stored glycogen back to glucose when the body needs extra fuel. It stores various vitamins, and minerals, to include iron and copper.
  • The liver works as an immunity enhancer, helping the body maintain hormonal balance and resist infection.
  • Alcohol may be regarded as sophisticated and fun, but when done to excess throughout adulthood, it can ravage the liver as does acidosis, toxic chemicals, drugs, etc. All are extremely harmful to your liver. Almost all drugs, especially coal-tar products like aspirin, severely destroy its tissues.
  • The liver is not only the most under appreciated organ, it’s one of the most crucial to staving off a number of serious diseases.
  • The liver produces and secretes approximately 1 liter of bile per day. Bile is a fat emulsifier and alkalizing agent.

The liver, which most people don’t understand, is also tied to the mind. When the liver is inflamed and impaired in its function – so is your mind, creating low self-esteem and anger.

According to recent scientific studies, “all that extra cholesterol (you are fighting to get rid of), comes from your Liver.” Only 15% of cholesterol comes from your diet. The other 85% is made in your liver…which happens when you’re under stress. In addition, when you eat a lot of sugary foods your body releases a form of adrenalin called cortisol which stimulates the production of insulin into your bloodstream which turns on the switch to make even more LDL cholesterol…this in turn leads you to battle heart and artery issues.

Study, and learn what you need to know to keep this workhorse, YOUR LIVER, running on all cylinders for years to come. It is imperative to say that we should take care of this most precious organ. Isn’t it time you showed your Liver a little Love?

STAY SAFE TREAT YOUR BODY GOOD, AND ENJOY GOOD HEALTH THROUGHOUT YOUR WHOLE LIFE!

Advertisements