Guess what! Scientists have FINALLY discovered a wonderful new ‘wonder drug’. It actually does what they say it can do, and does – like banish high blood pressure, lower cholesterol, combat cancer, fight COVID, crush cardiovascular problems and even put the brakes on those wrinkles called aging. IT’S CALLED FOOD!!!!!
You can buy it at the store or you can grow your own. As Neal Barnard, M.D. states “When you sit down to a meal, you are dosing yourself with huge quantities of substances that will determine what’s coursing through your body for the rest of the day.” He further states, “Most people don’t think of food as medication, but in reality, it is the single biggest medication that we’re exposed to.” I could not have said it any better myself – even though I have been saying it for years.
People around the world have been using food for nutrition as well as for medical purposes for thousands of years. When science came on the scene, all of a sudden Mother Nature’s wonders were forgotten. It was the Industrial Revolution that changed everything, including our way of eating and our attitude toward food. After World War II, people became hooked on a new hero called antibiotics – a new medicine – a new food replacement. Food was now thought of as just something to put into our stomachs to fill us up per se, ‘fuel for the body.’
Enter – disease, frustration, disillusionment, discovery of fast foods, too busy of lifestyles, and government control in many countries. It has taken years, but finally nutritious food is easing its way back onto the scene. It has taken a pandemic to open the eyes of everyone. As the scientific methods for good health and maintaining it and or the immune system, seem to be weak or don’t work at all, people, health educators and doctors are turning back to ‘food‘ to include fruits, vegetables, fish, some meats, berries and melons as a source for making people well, and keeping them well.
What is the secret? MOTHER NATURE! MOTHER NATURE IS BACK TO WORK with a balanced food protocol. It is said that the ‘Food Guide Pyramid’ is the way to go. However, even that has been changed over time from the original one.
I would like to introduce you to a method which may be new for many – called ‘FOOD COMBINING FOR HEALTH.’ This method was introduced to me through my training to become a detoxification specialist, by Dr. Robert Morse, N.D.
What is the reason for combining food properly? It is to make digestion easier and more efficient, as most protein foods require an acid digestive environment for proper digestion; whereas most carbohydrates digest properly in an alkaline environment. Therefore it is wise to eat foods that will require the same gastric juices for digestion. It’s called compatibility. This invariably will lead to better digestion and better health. “The simpler the meal the better you feel.”
The foods are separated into specific food groups –
- Proteins; foods that contain a high percentage of protein in their makeup. these include nuts, seeds, dry beans, dry peas, peanuts; all flesh foods without the fat, eggs, cheese and, other dairy products which are not recommended; olives, and avocados.
- Carbohydrates; are the starches and sugars.
- Starches include all cereals, dry beans, dry peas, potatoes, pumpkin, yams, chestnuts, squash, corn, and coconuts. FYI coconuts are a starch/protein combination and also a saturated fat.
- Sweet Fruits include bananas, dates, figs, raisins, prunes, persimmons, and dried fruits.
- Sugars – natural in the food, and pure Maple Syrup and Pure Honey.
- Mildly Starchy include carrots, rutabaga, beets, artichokes and parsnips.
Rules suggested to follow for Food Combining are listed as follows:
- Avoid eating carbohydrates with acid fruits.
- Avoid eating concentrated proteins with concentrated carbohydrates.
- Do not consume two concentrated proteins at the same meal – such as nuts and cheese because the gastric acidity type and strength of timing of secretions of the different protein variations are not uniform, making them an incompatible combination.
- Do not consume fats with proteins. Since our need for concentrated fat is small and most protein foods already contain a good deal of fat, additional fat has an inhibiting effect on digestive secretions and lessens the amount and activity of pepsin and hydrochloric acid necessary for the digestion of protein.
- Use fat sparingly. The inhibiting effect on gastric secretion is counteracted and digestion proceeds normally when fats such as avocados or nuts are eaten with raw green vegetables. FYI – although avocados are not a high protein food, avocados contain more protein than milk. They are best used with a salad meal, and as well, combine well with sub-acid or acid fruits. They also combine well with lettuce, celery, potatoes or other starch foods, provided a green salad is included in the meal. Never combine avocados with nuts which are high in fat. ‘Fats other than nuts and avocados are not recommended for regular use.’
- Do not eat acid fruits with proteins. Citrus, tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries and other acid fruits should not be eaten with nuts, cheese, eggs or meat.
- Do not combine sweet fruits with proteins, starches or acid fruits. FYI sugars in sweet fruit should be free to leave the stomach within twenty minutes, and are apt to ferment if digestion is delayed by mixing with other foods. Sugar-starch combinations also cause problems. Sugar also has a marked inhibiting effect on the flow of natural gastric juices.
- Eat only one (1) concentrated starch at a meal. This rule is more important as a means of avoiding overeating starches than avoiding a bad combination. I see this rule being abused every time I go to a buffet type restaurant or to somebody’s house or church for a ‘pot luck’ dinner. Mildly starchy vegetables may be combined with more starchy vegetables, such as carrots and potatoes, but not in combination with foods such as grains and legumes.
- Acid fruits may be used with sub-acid fruits (best combined with less sweet sub-acid fruits). FYI – tomatoes should not be combined with sub-acid fruit nor with any other kind of fruit, and are best combined with a salad meal at which no starches are served. I see this rule being abused all the time as well.
- Sub-acid fruits may be used with sweet fruits of the sweeter variety. If you have poor digestion, bananas are best eaten alone. Otherwise, bananas combine pretty well with dates, raisins, grapes and other sweet fruit and with green leafy vegetables such as lettuce and celery. If you like or use dried fruits – use them sparingly, because the sugar concentration is naturally greater.
- Fruit and Vegetables – The uncooked vegetable of lettuce and celery when combined with a fruit meal may enhance the digestion of the fruit.
- Salads combine very well with proteins or starches. FYI – green leafy vegetables combine well with most other foods, and should form the major part of one’s daily diet. The combination of lettuce and other green and non-starchy vegetable pass through the stomach rapidly unless delayed by oily dressing or foods that require a more thorough gastric digestion.
- DO NOT CONSUME MELLONS WITH ANY OTHER FOOD. Melons are more than 90% liquid and leave the stomach quickly if not delayed and fermented by combining with other foods.
- Sprouts – are eaten best with grains. Great in place of lettuce on a sandwich or just eaten as a ‘sprout’ sandwich.
- Non- recommended foods include over ripe fruits and bitter vegetables.
- SPICES AND CONDIMENTS – salt, pepper, vinegar, oils, garlic, radishes, mustard, cranberry sauce and all other condiments are irritants and should be avoided. This is a hard one.
WATER – contrary to what is being recommended today – Dr. Herbert Shelton recommends, “you should drink water only when thirsty. Dr. Shelton also recommends that you drink water at least 15 minutes before meals; 30 minutes after a fruit meal; 2 hours after a starch meal; and 4 hours after a protein meal. WHY? To avoid diluting the natural enzymes in your body by drinking with meals. In other words – the drinking of water with the meal dilutes the body’s natural acids with are needed for good digestion. This leads to heart burn, etc. (Under extenuating circumstances such as sports activities, more water is needed as the water in your body is released through perspiration. Also, depending on your health circumstances doctors may recommend that you drink more water per day.)
(The above information is provided by the Canadian Natural Health Association Founded on Natural Hygiene. Reference for complete information the following books: “Food Combining Made Easy” and “Superior Nutrition” by Herbert Shelton D.P., N.D., D.N.T., D.N.Sc.)
My doctor once told me that “only pure WATER is the true thirst quencher.” Other liquid drinks – coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, alcohol, juices, etc. are considered, ‘pleasure quenchers’ even though most are water based. Because of the additives, these liquids do not stop you from being thirsty. In fact, some of them make you want to drink more. They fill you up but they do not clear or clean the toxins from your body, which is what water does as it mixes with the natural body acids.
SUMMARY: Folks do say, ‘I get along just fine with the way I eat and combine my food’. To that statement – my question is ‘if that is true why are there so many of you with esophagus, stomach, gut and bowel discomfort issues, gall bladder issues, kidney and liver failure issues and more?
Correct FOOD COMBINING = good nutritional balance within every internal organ/gland, etc. of the body. Hence, vitamin supplementation can be kept at a minimum. Thankfully, in spite of all the pandemic talk, health experts are finally admitting that ‘nutritional organic foods along with the correct supplementation builds the immune system, and will maintain the immune system which in turn – ‘leads to a healthy body not in need of ‘jab juice’ to survive.’
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
MAY GOD BLESS THE WORLD!!!